Making a Smooth Transition from Elementary to Middle School
Be upbeat about what lies ahead.
Focus on the positive aspects of middle school:
- A chance to meet new people.
- A chance to grow into a young adult.
- A chance to learn about many different subjects.
Recognize their fears of:
- They'll not be able to open their lockers
- They'll forget which class they are supposed to go to
- They are insecure about making mistakes
Give your child strategies:
- Practice with combination locks over summer
- Tape schedule to the inside of their planner/binder
Tools to succeed:
- Develop a daily routine
- An area for homework that is free from distractions
- Academic planner-are they using it?
- Help them to organize themselves - sort through papers
- Lay out backpack & clothes the night before
Physical symptoms of anxiety:
- Stomach aches/headaches
- Wanting to call home due to sickness
- Change in emotions
Hold your child accountable
- Your child is responsible for getting to classes on time
- They are responsible for their grades and for completing homework assignments
- Allow them the freedom to make mistakes Know that they will make mistakes. Expect it. (Talk to Mrs. Frelich about Brain Research)