Counseling Services at DMS
As counselors, we are guided by the Ethical Standards of the American Counseling Association and the American School Counselor Association.
The middle school counseling program has three content areas:
- Knowledge of self and others - Understanding and accepting myself; making decisions; understanding and getting along with others.
- Educational development- Improving study and basic learning skills; learning how to use leisure time; planning for high school and beyond.
- Career exploration - Exploring careers; planning high school classes; making decisions about my future after high school
Students at Durand Middle School will:
- Learn to learn
- Learn to live
- Learn to work in the following ways:
Through classroom presentations
Through small group counseling
Through individual counseling
Common Issues of Adolescence & Parenting
What kind of challenges is your youngster facing right now?
Among the challenges for young people going through adolescence are:
- Establishing a personal identity.
- Developing independence
- Expanding personal relationships
- Exploring ones talents and abilities.
For students, these can be confusing tasks and may interfere with their success at school. As school counselors, we provide short-term counseling to students and consultation to parents and school staff regarding these student issues.
Every child is unique and special.
- School counselors work with all students, school staff, parents, and members of the community.
- Parenting adolescents can be the toughest job ever!
- We all need help at one time or another.
- If I can strengthen the family's parenting skills, I can strengthen the child.
- Counseling is the process of helping people by assisting them in making decisions and changing behavior.
- I believe in a pro-active, common sense approach to helping children with life's many changes and difficulties.